1/4 c rolled oats
1/4 c quinoa
1/4 c sunflower seeds
1/4 c water
3 cups lukewarm water for yeast
1 Tble yeast
1 1/2 Tble K salt
4 c all purpose flour
1 c rye flour
1 c w w flour
1. soak first 4 ingredients for 1 hour
2. Mix dough (flours, water, yeast, and soaked ingredients) and let rise for 2 hours. Mix only enough to combine. Do not knead or overwork dough. May use your hands to make sure everything combined. Be sure not to add salt and yeast at same time. Salt can kill yeast.
3. cover with plastic wrap and let rise for two hours. Then gently knock down. Batter will be very sticky.
4. Here you have two options. You can either bake now or put in the fridge for another day. Dough can be used anytime in the next two weeks. The longer it sits, the more flavorful it becomes!
5. When ready to bake bring to room temp for about an hour.
6. When ready to bake, put sticky dough on floured
board and separate into two balls. Add flour as necessary to work with and shape dough into round loaf. Stretch edges down and under to add finished look to loaf.
7. At this point, you can either place loaves on pizza peel (after you sprinkle with cornmeal) or do what I do, place loaves on parchment paper. Allow loaves to sit covered for 40 minutes.
8. Preheat oven 450… if you have pizza stone, preheat for an extra half hour. Place stone in center of oven. In addition, place old rimmed cookie sheet on bottom rack for steaming (I do this but wonder if it is really necessary)
9a option 1 After the rest, sprinkle each loaf with flour and cut several (I put 4) 1/2 ” deep slashes along the top of the loaves.
9b option 2 After rest, cut several (I put 4) 1/2 ” deep slashes along the top of the loaves. Then, brush with an egg and sprinkle with either poppy or sesame seeds– I use both actually and it is delicious.
10. Slide the loaves onto the stone leaving enough room between each to spread a bit. Then (very quickly) pour 1 cup hot water onto baking sheet and quickly close oven door.
11. Bake for 35 minutes until brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.
12. If not using, I slice loaves and freeze. Then you can use as needed. Makes delicious toast.